Erin Popovich is the wife of American basketball coach Gregg Popovich. The couple has been married for almost 40 years. They are the parents of Micky and Jill Popovich.
Gregg Popovich, often referred to as “Coach Pop” or simply “Pop”, is known for being the head coach of the San Antonio Spurs who lead the team to five NBA championships from 1999 to 2014. He took over as coach of the Spurs in 1996, and has been the longest tenured active coach in both the NBA and all US major sports leagues.
Erin Popovich’s hubby is considered one of the greatest coaches in NBA history, and also holds the record for the most consecutive winning seasons. Gregg is one of the nine coaches in NBA history to have won 1,000 games.
The Serbian coach worked as an assistant on the Air Force Academy from 1973 to 1979. Some people say that, during this time, Gregg met Mrs. Popovich, the daughter of Air Force Academy athletic trainer Jim Conboy. Some others say Mr. and Mrs. Popovich’s relationship goes way back into Gregg’s college years, when he moved his family into the dorm for one year while he majored in Soviet studies at the Air Force Academy. He also worked as an assistant coach at Pomona-Pitzer College, a Division III school in Claremont, California.
Erin is an Air Force brat. She graduated from Colorado State University. Her education has been strict, which helps Gregg in his games, as she’s always there to give him advice. Other coaches that would scream and yell receive a “Do you like to look like that?” from Erin, and Coach Pop says that this helps him in keeping his on-court antics to rein. Let’s keep learning about Mrs. Popovich in the facts below:
- Her full name is Erin Rose Conboy Popovich and is 65 years old.
- She must be very proud of being the daughter of an Air Force Academy athletic trainer and the wife of the most decorated coach of the Spurs.
- Erin is a generous lady that spends a lot of time working for local charities such as the San Antonio Food Bank.
- Sometimes, Gregg’s wife is confused with the gold-medal winning Paralympic swimmer Erin Popovich.
- Erin is always controlling her hubby’s aggressive behavior on court.
- She’s been telling Gregg to be nicer to Craig Sager since day 1.
- Erin’s Air Force connection plays a large part in the life story of Mr. Popovich.
- Her dad claimed the world title in modern pentathlon and won the gold in 1979.
- During her time around the Air Force base, Erin became friends with a girl named Betsy, the daughter of a general named Robert F. McDermott, the same McDermott who became Chairman of the group that purchased the Spurs in the 1990s.
- Mrs. Popovich and her family currently live in San Antonio, near the Dominion Country Club.